Wednesday 27 February 2013

Daring Bakers - February 2013

This month's challenge was mainly savory. It was about crackers and flatbreads. Our host was Sarah from All our fingers in the pie!

I, naturally, turned it sweet... Chocolate sweet, that is. What else?

So, I chose to make a flatbread with cocoa and brown sugar.

You can find the original recipe here, as was given to us by Sarah.

Cocoa Flatbread
the way I made it slightly adapted

240 ml warm water (about 43°C)
5 gm active yeast (not dry)
420 gm all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
50 gr cocoa
45 ml olive oil
coarse salt
50 gm white granulated sugar
1 large egg whisked with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water, for egg wash if you like it


Place the water in a bowl and sprinkle the yeast. Let stand until the yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, oil, 1 teaspoons coarse salt and the sugar. Stir until a dough forms.
I used the dough hook for my mixer.
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Use as much flour as necessary so it is not a sticky dough.
Place in a lightly oiled bowl and roll the dough around in the bowl so that it is also lightly oiled on the surface. Cover with cling film and let stand in a warm place until it doubles in volume.

Preheat oven to 180°C. Divide dough into equal portions and cover with plastic wrap. Roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with the egg mixture (if using) and sprinkle brown sugar.
Bake, rotating sheet halfway through baking, until crisp 18-22 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.








Check the brown sugar....

I also made some flatbreads filled with brown sugar...
... and covered with dark chocolate, while they were hot from the oven.

I think I liked the chocolate covered ones better, much much better!

Thank you for this challenge Sarah!

Louise

P.S.: Since taking these photos, I made another sweet flatbread. I added a little more white sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon and no cocoa. Baked them and while they were hot, I drizzled honey on them... Can you imagine what that was like?

2 comments:

Ana M. Adserías said...

it looks yummy :)

Sarah said...

I love the creativity that this challenge brought out. I'll have to try the chocolate! Sounds delicious. Thank you for participating in this challenge.