Thursday 1 August 2013

Chestnut and Vanilla jam!

I had a lot of chestnuts.
We ate them baked of course,but I wanted to make something more interesting!

I found this recipe in a book, called "Perfect Preserves" by Hilaire Walden.

Chestnut and Vanilla Jam

1500gr chestnuts (in their shells)
1 vanilla bean
650gr brown sugar
2 tbsp dark rum (I used light)

* Cut a slit on every chestnut shell and put them in a pot of boiling water.
* Let them simmer for 10 min. and then remove them from heat.
* When they are cool enough to handle, start peeling them.
* When all chestnuts are peeled, simmer them in a large pan with the vanilla bean and enough water to just cover them, until they are very tender.
* Drain the nuts, reserve the water and the vanilla bean.
* Puree the nuts.
* Put the puree, the sugar and 1/2 cup of the reserved water in a deep pan. Add the vanilla seeds and the pod.
* Heat low until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil.
* Boil until thick, stirring.
* Add the rum and throw away the vanilla pod.
* Sterilise jars and fill them with the jam.
* leave overnight to cool and set.
* Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.

Notes:
- While I was peeling the chestnuts, the ones waiting were getting cold. It is easy to peel them, though, when they are very warm. So, every couple I wanted to peel, I popped them in the microwaves for a few seconds and then they were ready to use!
- DO NOT PUT THE JARS IN THE FRIDGE. I did and the taste was ruined. I actually cried.



Can you spot the little vanilla seeds?


It is really worth the effort of peeling chestnuts and burning your fingertips!

I loved it, loved it, loved it and this comes from a girl, who doesn't like chestnut - based desserts......

Louise

No comments: