Monday 19 May 2014

Almond flour!

I generally try not to throw away food. I am careful on what I buy and when I will consume it, so that it won't rot in my fridge. I also try to use leftovers.

When I make my almond milk, there is a good amount of coarse almonds that are left in the cheesecloth. Never throw this away! Make almond flour!

It comes in handy for me because I try to eat gluten-free whenever possible and that means that I have to make my own gluten-free foods, at least most of the time.

It is very simple to make!



 It is very coarse. Half the job is already done!
 I have a little helper!

* You must put it in a pan lined with foil, so that you can remove it easier.
* Also, try to straighten it because it needs to dry very well! If you leave any lumps, then there will be moisture left, which you do not want.

* Place it in a preheated oven (100oC) for minimum 1 hour. After that keep checking to see whether it has dried through out.

* Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool completely.

If you want this coarse texture of almond meal, stop here. However I do one more thing.

* I grind the almond meal in the coffee grinder, so that the final result resembles the thin texture of regular flour. I do this purely because I like the texture and I am more familiar with it.

* Store it in a glass jar in the fridge or in your cupboard. I do the latter with no problems at all.

I have used it in these Flourless Brownies and in this Orange Almond cake. Both gluten-free!

Enjoy!


Louise!

No comments: