Monday 30 June 2014

Grapefruit jam with raw honey!

I had a few grapefruits in the fruit basket, that I wasn't eating. They were from a tree in my mother-in-law's back yard. Small and juicy!

So I decided to make something with them, since I hate throwing food away.

I admit I do not know the difference between jam and marmalade, so I call everything "jam". It doesn't matter to me really, any way you call this, IT IS DELICIOUS!

Oh, did I mention easy, too?

Grapefruit jam with raw honey
recipe by me

4 grapefruits
white sugar
1 tbsp butter
1/2 apple grated
4 tbsp honey

* Wash the grapefruits very well.
* Place them in a very large pot, cover them with water and boil them for a couple of hours, until they are tender and you can prick them easily with a skewer.
* Once they are ready and not so hot for you to handle, cut them in pieces.
* Put them all (juice s and fruit) in your mixer and mash them.
* Weigh the grapefruit mash and weigh the same amount of sugar.
* Put everything in a pot, except for the honey.
* Add a little water, maybe 1/2 cup.
* Cook the jam in moderate heat, stirring constantly and watching it so that it won't burn.
* Once it is thick and jam-like remove from the heat.
* Let it cool a bit and add the honey.
* Stir until combined and taste it. You might want to add a little more honey, if it is too sour for your taste.
* Put it in glass jars and when they are completely cold, place them in the fridge.






My plan for this is a sugar cookie base tart filled with this jam and some sugar cookie crumble on top!!!



The tanginess of grapefruits and the combined sweetness of sugar and honey make this jam truly divine!

Louise

No comments: